What is 80,000 Hours?
80,000 Hours is an organization that encourages people to use their careers in an effective way to make the world a better place. It also aims to help its members be more successful in their chosen careers.
How can 80,000 Hours help you?
The team at 80,000 Hours researches and provides information on which careers have the biggest social impact.
What is unique about their approach?
One of the movement’s most provocative ideas is called Earning to Give, and can be summarized as follows: Instead of working in the non-profit sector, could you have a bigger impact working in a business instead and donating the positive difference in your salary to philanthropy?
What are real-life examples of their approach?
Check out their team’s most recent review of career profiles, which assesses the relative impact of different careers:
- Medicine – not as much impact as you think.
- Research in think tanks – a promising early career option if you want a career in policy.
- Computer Science PhDs – promising if you’re very good at math and could be in the top third of the class.
- Economics PhDs – one of the best graduate programs.
- Data Science – consider if you’re the kind of person who might do a science PhD but don’t want to continue in academia.
How can I connect with them?